Meet Christy Squyres. She is married to her 8th grade sweetheart and the mother of 3 beautiful girls.
She has a degree in interior design and has experience in hospitality design, residential design,
and to the trade showroom sales. She spent 3 years as a culinary instructor at a magnet
high school where she learned her way around a commercial kitchen and gained an affinity for cooking.
She now stays home to raise her babies.
Today, Christy is sharing with us her version of Chuy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Chuy’s chicken tortilla soup is my absolute favorite. The broth tastes so clean and rich, it’s loaded with giant pieces of pulled chicken, and slightly charred sweet roasted corn, fresh cilantro, and shredded jack cheese. I recently tried to duplicate the recipe at home, and it was so fantastic, I decided to share it!
Since it is January, you may be making food cuts like I am, and this is a recipe that you can fit into your new diet, by making a minor adjustment or two. I prefer to order my soup without the tortilla strips, it cuts down on the calories, and I think they get in the way. Leave out the tortilla strips like I do, or cut out the cheese. I highly recommend leaving the corn, it’s one of my favorite parts of this recipe!
This my friends, is my version of Chuy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup, and it is pretty darn close to the real deal.
- 1 whole chicken, insides removed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- Optional Ingredients
- chicken boullion cubes or chicken base
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- jack cheese, shredded
- tortilla strips
- Rinse the chicken, place in a large stock pot, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cover with water. Add oregano and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer for one hour or until the chicken reaches 180 degrees at the breast. Remove foam from the top as it cooks. Remove chicken, pull meat off the bones, and set aside.
- While the chicken is simmering, spread frozen corn on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil for 10 minutes or until corn is slightly charred. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a small saute pan, add garlic and onions, saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add cumin, garlic salt, tomatoes with green chiles, pulled chicken, roasted corn, and onion mixture to the chicken stock. (Add black beans at this point if you choose to). Taste the stock, if you would like a richer flavor add 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 tablespoons of chicken base. Simmer for 30 minutes, serve topped with shredded jack cheese, fresh cilantro, avocado slices, and tortilla strips.