With the holidays finally here (YAY!), there will be parties galore whether it be school, church, or just your best friend’s Christmas party. Cupcakes are always a crowd favorite and my favorite Christmas cupcakes has to be a rich chocolate cupcake with mint buttercream frosting. They’re sure to be a hit for all your holiday parties!
For the Chocolate Cupcakes you will need:
- 1⅓ cups Flour
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¾ cup Salted Butter, softened
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl (flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and baking powder).
- Add in butter, egg, vanilla, sour cream and milk and mix on medium until blended nice and smooth.
- Fill your cupcake liners about ½-3/4 of the way full (this allows for them to rise without spilling over too much).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes -- I usually rotate my pan at the 10 minute mark to make sure they're cooking evenly. This is entirely up to you and can depend on your oven!
- Check the middle with a toothpick. When done, it will come out clean with no batter on it.
- *Variations can include adding walnuts or even holiday peppermint chocolate chips if you want even more peppermint!
For the mint buttercream frosting you will need:
- ½ cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- ¼ cup Milk
- ⅛ teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- Mix butter with a mixer until smooth.
- Mix in powdered sugar, milk and mint extract until smooth -- I highly recommend starting out with only 2 cups of powdered sugar and taste as you go. I've found my favorite is with 3 cups, but you can vary this to your own personal taste.
- Lastly, pipe onto a cooled cupcake,